1 lb salted beef, cubed (corned beef)
1 lb salted pig’s tail, cubed
3 1/2 cups saltwater*
3 cups hot water
4 big ripe (but firm) plantains
3 cinnamon sticks
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsp vegetable oil
20 whole allspices
20 whole cloves
4-5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1. Soak salted beef and salted pig’s tail overnight.
2. Thoroughly rinse the salted meats in cold water. Drain the water. Add fresh water (6 cups) to cover and cook until meat is almost tender.
3. Drain water in a bowl and keep about 3 1/2 cups* (of the now salted water).
4. Cut the meat and pig’s tail into small pieces.
5. Peel the plantains and cut into 1-inch cubes.
6. Combine 3 1/2 cups of saltwater and 3 cups hot water in large pot.
7. Add the meats, plantains, cinnamon sticks, potatoes, sweet potatoes, oil, allspices and whole cloves. Stir well. Skim off any foam that may develop.
8. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the plantains and potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.
9. Combine 1/2 cup water and cornstarch.
10. Add sugar, cornstarch mixture and turmeric and stir well.
11. Let cook for 2 more minutes.
12. Remove the cinnamon sticks, allspices and whole cloves before serving.
Ps: this is a hearty, sweet soup, born in the tropics, but perfect for a cold winter evening!
Pps: Kura Hulanda‘s restaurant makes the *best* Sòpi di Banana on the island.