Miss Curaçao, Curaçao’s national female beauty pageant, was founded in 1963 and has sent various stunningly beautiful contestants to the Miss Universe and Miss World pageants. Sample our awesome European – South American – West African melting pot by taking a look at some of our gorgeous finalists of past years.
1. Miss Curaçao 1966, Elizabeth ‘Nena’ Sánchez, won Miss Amity at Miss Universe.
Nowadays she’s better known as Nena Sánchez, the Artist.
Granted, bright and bubbly Nena will always be our Miss Amity.
2. Miss Curaçao 1968, Annemarie Braafheid, won First Runner-Up at Miss Universe 1968.
Awesome fact: Annemarie Braafheid is the FIRST EVER black top 5 Miss Universe finalist. Many were disappointed about Annemarie’s loss to Miss Brazil Martha Vasconcellos, particularly because she had been the top scorer throughout the competition. Annemarie’s 1st Runner-Up title caused massive complaints and protests around the world… African American soldiers in Vietnam even threatened to walk. It wasn’t until 1977 that the world would crown a black Miss Universe: Janelle Commissiong from Trinidad & Tobago.
3. Miss Curaçao 1976, Anneke Dijkhuizen, made it into the Top 12 Miss Universe finalists.
Fun fact: Miss Israel Rina Mor (Messinger) was crowned Miss Universe that year, Israel’s first.
4. Miss Curaçao 1991, Jacqueline Krijger, made it into the Top 10 Miss Universe finalists.
5. Miss Curaçao 1997, Verna Vasquez, made it into the Top 6 Miss Universe finalists.
6. Miss Curaçao 1999, Jouraine Ricardo, placed 11th in the Miss Universe pageant.
Just goes to show — one small island of 150,000 – 50 different nationalities:
A whole lotta beautiful people.